Jaipuria Jaipur Discussion Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Analysis of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach

+114
abhay.jain.18j
Akansha Jain
sbagla21
Megha Nagelia
Sakshi Taneja
shubham.khurana
ABHISHEK SINGH.1605
Sheenajain
sonakshi chadha
Ankit pareek
Ashishhh
Shipra jain
rohit.bharwani
harshitadaga
kajol singh
Prateek Poddar
Shubham Mathur
zaid0407
Mubarak
Kunwar Kartikay
Deepika Gupta
Varshita Rathore
prashantnavlani
Sankalp
pitamber
Saurabh khandelwal
Diksha Batish
Ravi Sharma
vishal.sawlani
Shreekant
ruchi gupta
prakhar.gupta
NehaKumari
prerna khandelwal
manishnaruka
preeti tamrayat
arpitasharma
Siddharth Jain
Aarya Gupta
maharwal.vartika
manish rajpal
Aman Chouhan
shubhrv
Chander singh
hitesh kriplani
Harshita Sharma
himashish
ayushbhatnagar
Rishabh verma
siji abraham 1650
Himani Banga
Simran Pipariya
yashica arora
BHAVIKA AGARWAL
priyanka sharma
pallavi maindola
Neetu Singhal
bhavanasingh
Asif PGFB1653
SWATI SRIVASTAVA
kratika mishra
shubham jaiswal
Rhythm
yashika_damani
Karishma kedia
sadashiv
prachi gupta
abhik
AYUSHI MISHRA
priyanka3004
ashishgupta
mayank khatri
Megha Dhyani
rakshita jain
indira kushwaha
salonimaheshwari31
Mohini Choudhary
Vartika Shukla
Ritika
Sunali-pgfb1656
Ankita Garg
Neha Choudhary
nikita0831
kshipra
sanadul islam
shubham gupta
sonali angelina samuel
ashi gupta
REEMA SHARMA
Nikita Garg
kshitiz agrawal
ankitsharma
kartikay tiwari 24
mahak agarwal
Dheeraj Mohan
kiran.18j
Komal Khanna PGFA1623
kanishka mani
Ankur Parwal
Niharikasingh18j
rohit shivran
BHARAT JAIN
Garvit Kumar Shah
kaushalsoni139
kirti sharma
Ritu kanojia
devendra sharma
Shubham Patni
alka yadav
Krishna Dhoot
simran sharma
Aastha Ahlawat
Kiran Moolrajani
vandanasharma
118 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Analysis of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach - Page 5 Empty Re: Analysis of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach

Post by kajol singh Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:41 pm

Richard Bach is an American writer. Bach is widely known as the author of some hugely popular 1970s best-sellers. Bach has authored numerous works of fiction and non-fiction.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull,a story about a seagull who flew for the love of flying rather than merely to catch food in which he wanted to reach the biggest speed and fly as fast as possible. He pushed his limits every day but practicing complicated twists and turns. He separated himself from the flock and became a loner. Soon he broke the world record and flew 165 km/h. Then he collapsed and fell into the sea. After that he went 600 meters up and reached the speed of 260 km/h. He forgot about his promises to be a normal seagull and decided to keep on practicing every day. Soon he reached the speed of 396 km/h. Not a single seagull in history could fly that fast. He was proud of himself and his success so he couldn’t wait to share it with the other seagulls. But he was surprised when nobody was happy for him. He lived a lonely life far away from everyone but he felt good. His instructor Sullivan told his that the reason for that was that this was only one part of life and that every seagull changes depending on what they learn and Jonathan learned everything. After months of hard work, they decided to show everyone what they know. More and more seagulls wanted to learn how to fly.

I like elder gull, chiang, as he teached Jonathan the lessons that included the mechanics of flight but went beyond them to encompass the philosophical applications of the knowledge to serve his own purposes and to allow him to help others., and he told him the correct path.

I learned that to reach our goal not to be so hungry to achieve it that we forget about everyone and everything. We have to face many difficulties, problems and challenges in our life. There is a limit on this heavenly body.

kajol singh

Back to top Go down

Analysis of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach - Page 5 Empty Re: Analysis of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach

Post by harshitadaga Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:51 pm

The author Mr. Richard David Bach is one of the best selling authors of his time. Through the medium of the simplest words, he has reached many hearts. Mr. Richard has always succeeded in awakening the spirit of flying high and achieving ones goals in many.

The book has been titled as "Jonathon Livingstone Seagull" after the seagull that the author has decided to base the story upon. Jonathon is the seagull who knows that somewhere there is more to life than just by following the other gulls. He is the kind who decides to finally believe in himself.

The story is based on the life of a seagull who aspires to be the unconventional. While the other members of the flock believed in flying simply for the reason of finding food and to live as long as their lives have to offer, Jonathon wishes to fly and reach the heights that no one has ever been able to achieve. It is this unusual habit of his which the other seagulls do not like and decide to let him live on his own. The entire story revolves around his struggle to believe in himself and free himself from the society's beliefs and conventions. It also shows how Jonathon is taught by 2 good gulls the art of becoming free and how he imparts the same wisdom to the other gulls.

Jonathon is my favorite character, for when his family turned their backs to him saying that he was violating the dignity and tradition of the Gull Family, he could have simply felt humiliated and brought an end to all the fuss. However, he PERSEVERED. The same situation might take place with any of us where the people who are closest to us do not believe is us, but in those moments of despair it is important to have faith in oneself.

This little fable has given me a lot to learn. It is a reminder of the fact that the path that I wish to follow actually exists and is right ahead of me. Someone might admire it or despise it. However my freedom is totally in my hands and it is myself who can decide the way I wish to live.
harshitadaga
harshitadaga

Back to top Go down

Post by rohit.bharwani Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:03 pm

1) Richard Bach is a good american writer.He was born on 23rd of june,1936.He is known for his love of flying.His books are mostly related to flying in some way.He always had a passion of flying so he thought of converting his passion into books.He wrote a book "Jonathan livingston seagull"this book is also related to flying.

"Jonathan livingston seagull"title of the book it clearly indicated about a seagull who is love for flying but unfortunately culture/societies make him stop to fly but he always think there is no limit.After then he choose his own path,achieve his goal and he flies.

2) The whole story is about a seagull who is love of flying,but the conventions of societies makes him stop to fly.The societies says seagulls are made only to eat not to fly.But thinking of Jonathan was different as compared to others.He always think different His aim was to fly higher than others seagulls.He dont want any limit in his life.After getting detained from his society.He found two seagulls who guided him to learn more from his instructor chiang.Then he learn how to fly better than earlier he was flying.After learning from his instructor he went to his own family to teach how he learn to fly,what are the skills used for flying.This shows that how he was passionate about his goal and at last he fulfill his dreams.

3) The character I liked the most is Jonathan itself.If we relate jonathan character to ours character it would be the best decision of our life.I'm very much inspired from his character.He is goal oriented,hardworker,determination,and never loose hope.He always try hard to achieve his goal,he do whatever he likes thats why I like this character the most.

4) My takeaways from the book is that if there is a will in our heart than we can achieve whatever we want to.For me Jonathan is really motivating.we can encourage other as well as we can teach what we learn as we say learning never stops.Do what you like only and don’t loose hope, always try and live with passion.
rohit.bharwani
rohit.bharwani

Back to top Go down

Post by Shipra jain Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:12 pm

1. Richard David Bach (born June 23, 1936) is an American writer. Bach is widely known as the author of some hugely popular 1970s best-sellers, including Jonathan Livingston Seagull (1970) and Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah (1977). Bach has authored numerous works of fiction and non-fiction, including One (1989) and Out of My Mind (1999).

2. This story is about a seagull who wants perfection and who wants to fly high. He doesn't want a routine life just to catch food. He wants to explore and inspire others. He then is banished from his flock because of this idea. He still flies high but alone. He meets two seagulls who also love to fly. They teach him about flying and always catch hold of the dream. He afterwards realizes that he must return back and teach them also to fly high.

3. I liked Jonathan the most as he was a very hard worker, the views of his flock did not confide him. He was willing to do anything to achieve his goal. Even when no one supported him he did not lose any hope he got up and started working towards achieving his goal.

4. The learning’s and takeaways are:
      One should listen to his heart.
      One should not leave  a path just because it is less traveled . It means if you desire to achieve something in life you not stop yourself becauseone  or less people have done it.
      Always share the knowledge that you have with others. It will only help them, keeping   knowledge to yourself is equal to wasting it.
      It is not necessary that everyone will understand your passion or dream but, that does not mean you should not achieve it.

Shipra jain

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashishhh Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:27 pm

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true. You may have to work for it, however." Richard David Bach is an American writer was born June 23, 1936. He was a writer of Genre fantasy and philosophy. He was known for his love to fly. Richard Bach served in the United States Navy Reserve and many aviation sectors. He love writing books too and then he wrote aviation related books and his love for flying is reflected through his books like Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Jonathan Livingston Seagull, a story about a seagull who flew for the love of flying rather than merely to catch food. We see the seagull obsessed with pushing the limits of everything he knows about flying. Everyday he learns more and more.  We, as human beings, would be well-served if we were willing to push against our own personal boundaries and discover what lies beyond.  It is refreshing and insightful to learn more, grow more, open ourselves to truths we have not yet learned. In this story, there's a ordinary gull named Jonathan but his thoughts and actions are not something ordinary. Other gulls use to come to seashore to have food and there is nothing more in life for them. Eating food is what they are meant for. But Jonathan Livingston seagull unlike the other gulls was having a wish to fly high in the sky with an extremely fast speed. Everyday when the other gulls fighting for food Jonathan keep practicing flying in new ways and discovering unknown moves of flying. He keeps trying diving from different heights of mountains. Sometimes he fails to discover what he wanted to. But he never gave up and kept practicing flying. The gull community threw him out for breaking the community norms. After outcast he flew to another island where he found some another gulls having some unique qualities like him. Some gulls were more talented than him. Chaing was one of the gulls he met and got influenced by. Chaing make his realize that what is the meaning of his life and what we can do to make once given life more meaningful. Chaing taught him the new techniques of flying. Somehow Jonathan was able to fly at the speed more than 150 miles per hour. He is now a completely changed gull from what he was before.  Then he got many seagulls as followers want to learn flying. He was having no intentions of becoming a master to someone else, but this is essentially what will happen, should he find any followers when he begins to share the truths he has found. Fletcher, a gull was a great admirer of him. When he was getting back to earth, the place where he belongs to, he asked Fletcher to spread out the message of being not limited by boundaries created by yourself which stops you from discovering new things.
The character I like the most is Jonathan himself because there is a spark of learning new things and for being different from the other flocks. He was not limited by the rules of his community. Even after outcaste from community he didn’t give up on the dreams of flying at faster speed and master the art of flying.
The takeaways I could have from the story; life is like a long journey full of success and failures. You will get many people criticizing you, pulling you down, suppressing you but it is up to you that in what way you are answering them. There will be many ups and downs in life but it’s up to you that whether you are taking those ‘downs’ as a boundaries or a lesson because limits are only in our mind. We should always have trust in our self. We must listen to heart and always follow the way where we can meet our ultimate goal no matter what.

Ashishhh

Back to top Go down

Post by NehaKumari Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:32 pm

1.Richard Boch is one of the most famous American writer who wrote Jonathan Livingston Seagull in 1970s.Most of his books are based on semi autobiographical using the elements of actual or fictioned character of his life.He was very passionate of about writing books.He loved flying since the age of 17.While flying he was badly injured on approach of landing his aircraft which crashed.
The title of the book is very much suited.Here as we have seen that there is a bird called seagull who cant fly.Every one is aiming to find their own food and live their life.But Jonathan Livingston Seagull wanted to be different in his flock and wanted to fly so that he can know his abilities.
2.In this book there is a title named Seagull who is a bird who cant fly.All are involved in busy finding food but he was passionate about living.He loved to fly yet opposed his family.He pushes himself to fly so that he can learn.He met two gulls who took him to high where they believed to be a better world with a better knowledge.The other two gulls whom he met loved to fly made him to learn more about how to fly.When he was about to fly he met Chiang who taught him how to fly in universe.By this he was dissatisfied with his life and wanted to go back to earth where he can teach others of his flock to fly.And his first student Fletcher Lynd Seagull became teacher and Jonathan started teaching others of his flock.
3.The character which I liked the most was Chiang because he is the only one who motivated Jonathan to fly.At the same he also taught at wat speed he could be able to achieve goals of his life.
4.My takaways from this story are:
We should try to know our abilities to achieve our goals.
We should continue our learning until we reach our goal.
We should never give up because we don’t know what the next level of our life may give us tomorrow.

NehaKumari

Back to top Go down

Post by Ankit pareek Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:57 pm

1)Richard David Bach is an American writer. He has keen interest in writing books thus incorporate his talent in writing. But one of his book Jonathan Livingston Seagull is a book of a very independent bird, who flied faster and better not for search of food but only to achieve his goal,and give examples to others that learn more and more from others and from our mistake and develop our skills and ability.
2) In this book, there was a seagull bird named Gull. He was different as compared to other seagull who spend their whole life in finding food and coming home. For them flying is just a means of finding foods. But Gull was very passionate about his life and his way of living. The first part describes the will power of Jonathan to climb to 1000 feet to begin a full power drive. He starts to learn how to fly with high speed and to break all the records. In part two, it was shown that how Jonathan met with other gulls and also his learning from his teacher. This part describes his journey to reach to the heaven and build skills to get it. Last part was about his teaching to other gulls and helps them in succeed.
3) Chiang-the wisest Elder, he taught Jonathan about knowledge of perfecting his flying and to trust himself that he can do the things he wants to do. “The trick, according to Chiang, was for Jonathan to stop seeing himself as trapped inside a limited body. . . “ (Bach, p. 56) Chiang is a static character because Chiang is a stereotypical wise elder. When we say wise elder, we know that he/she will give wisdom to the protagonist to make him/her undergo a change or development.
4) I accept that we all walk through life with many wounds. It can be difficult to find the strength to be kind and patient given these wounds. It can be difficult simply to allow our wounds heal. Not only do we fail to seek healing, but we can also fall in love with our pain, nursing and feeding it rather than the strength and beauty within us.
However, we must forgive. We must forgive ourselves for all the moments where we fall short of our own ideals. We must forgive others for not sharing those ideals, and for firing whatever slings and arrows of outrageous fortune pierce our being. I have also learned to seek the forgiveness of my Creator. It is a blessing I earnestly desire, and one I request daily.
Jonathan Livingston Seagull was a true joy to read and experience. I recommend it highly to anyone who is sustained by a kind word.

Ankit pareek

Back to top Go down

Post by sonakshi chadha Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:17 pm

1. Richard David Bach is an American Writer, born on June 23, 1936. He is widely known as the author of some hugely popular 1970s best sellers. He has written both fiction and non-fiction books. Most of Bach's books have been semi-autobiographical, using actual or fictionalized events from his life to illustrate his philosophy.
2. The book Livingston seagull is a story about a seagull who is bored with the daily routine and problems regarding the food. He is passionate about flying and is always ready to learn anything related to flying to improve on it. One day, Livingston meets two seagulls who take him to some other place. In this new place, Livingston becomes friends with the wisest gull, Chiang who takes him beyond his previous learning and opens doors for him. And tell him not to be restricted and the whole universe is open to him. Chiang understood him well and guides him. He came back from that place as he did not want to leave his original place. When he returned he started teaching the other gulls. The book also has certain pictures clicked by Russell Munson, which makes us understand the book in a better way and imagine it.
3. My favorite character is Livingston seagull, as he is passionate about his work and always ready to adapt change. He is the one who learns every new thing that comes his way and adopt to the new changes but doesn’t forget the base from where he started. Change is necessary with time but the change shouldn’t be the one which changes the origin from where the person started.
4. My personal learning from this book was that one should always be ready for change, whatever comes into one’s way. Change should be taken in a positive manner and there should be some or the other person to guide and motivate you. One should never forget the basic objective or the mission to move further in life. This book is a great work as it motivates the readers in a very positive manner.

sonakshi chadha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheenajain Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:22 pm

1. Richard David Bach is an American writer. An enthusiastic person who always motivates people to make their own rule. The stories in his book are inspired from his own experiences. Most of Richard Bach's books have been semi-autobiographical, using actual or fictionalized events from his life to illustrate his philosophy. He wrote the book Jonathan Livingstone seagull in 1970, in this story Jonathan Livingstone Seagull is a main character who is a seagull.
2. The whole story is about a seagull named Jonathan Livingstone Seagull, who dreams of flying better than other Seagull's who spend their days in looking for scrap food, but Jonathon was very passionate about his life. He had a dream to fly high and live out freely so he always pushes himself to achieve his dreams, he seeks out every opportunity to live those dreams. but He needed some guidance or a motivator who can guide him and make him learn the skills, than he met with Chiang who motivated him guided him and told him to develop his skills and abilities to learn and fly high with high speed and achieve his goal and at last he taught other birds to learn more and fly high and move for themselves and achieve success, he told them not to fly for food only but fly for success.
3. The character I liked the most is Jonathan, as he always had a spark for learning new things. he had the zeal and enthusiasm to achieve his dreams. no matter what, how difficult they were. He never gave up and always tried hard and pushed himself to all the extents and he helped others too.
4. My learning from the story are as follows :
Keep trying again and again without giving up
Learn from your failures
Follow your heart
Make your own rules
Their is always scope of improving yourself
Help others in learning what you are best at.

Sheenajain

Back to top Go down

Post by ABHISHEK SINGH.1605 Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:28 pm

Richard David Bach was born on  June 23, 1936 is an American writer. Bach is widely known as the author of some hugely popular 1970s best-sellers, including Jonathan Livingston Seagull (1970) and Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah (1977). Bach has authored numerous works of fiction and non-fiction, including One (1989) and Out of My Mind (1999).

Jonathan Livingston Seagull, written by Richard Bach, is a fable in novella form about a seagull learning about life and flight, and a homily about self-perfection. It was first published in 1970 as "Jonathan Livingston Seagull — a story." By the end of 1972, over a million copies were in print, Reader's Digest had published a condensed version, and the book had reached the top of the New York Times Best Seller list, where it remained for 38 weeks.

The character I like the most is Sullivan. While searching for heaven, Jonathan finds him. The thing which I like most about this character is that he was very good adviser who guides Jonathan that they have to go through thousands of lives to  get the first idea that there is more life than eating or fighting. The way he explained Jonathan about the heaven and their lives impressed me.

And here are my takeaways from this book of prose and photos
• you may be wrong or you may be right. However in the end, you are the primary person who has to deal with you.
• It seems no matter the decision we make, someone will come out and say it is not normal or acceptable.
• Whether it’s flying from heights no other seagull has flown before or starting your own business, you won’t know if you can or can’t until you try.

ABHISHEK SINGH.1605

Back to top Go down

Post by shubham.khurana Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:01 pm

1. Richard Bach is an author that has a flavor of inspiration in his writings. It becomes really evident from his writings that he has a passion of flying, as many of his great works have a ingredient of flying because flying is often considered as an expression of freedom and it is the theme of many of Bach stories.

2. The plot of the story "Jonathan livingston Seagull" talks about a seagull who has a inbuilt determination of flying high in the sky despite knowing the fact that his family and society doesn't support his ambitions. But somehow he tried to fly high and as the result of this he got exiled from the seagull's society.But after that he finds a flock of seagulls that have no resistance of flying high. They teach him the art of flying high with speed and live his dreams with full zeal.

3. The character I like the most is Chiang who is elder than Jonathan and he teaches him to fly with speed, he boosts up Jonathan with his motivating words and inspire him to attain the speed Jonathan wants to fly at. Chiang gives wings to his aspirations and ignite the zeal in Jonathan to achieve perfection in his skills.

4. My takeaways from this book is that those people determined and courageous enough to live his dreams as reality, are the ones who actually do.
Also we should trust ourselves and have a belief that nothing is impossible in this world.

shubham.khurana

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakshi Taneja Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:07 pm

"You have the freedom to be yourself, your true self, here and now, and nothing can stand in your way"

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

The beautiful story revolves around seagull’s desire to fly and his developing understanding of what flying means.Richard Bach ,Bach is noted for his love of aviation and for his books related to flying in a metaphorical context. Bach has pursued flying as a hobby
over his writing of the Seagull book—he didn't believe he wrote the book, was feeling the book came from somewhere else.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull tells the story of a young seagull with big ambitions. Jonathan Seagull pushes himself to fly at tremendous speed, eventually reaching a higher plane of perfection. Later, he returns to his flock to teach the ambitious among them what he knows.
Jonathan is not an ordinary seagull, though, and above all else he cares about flying.

The story is in parts,initially, Jonathan defies his parents and spends all his time practicing flying. Most seagulls only care about one thing—eating. Jonathan is not an ordinary seagull, though, and above all else he cares about flying. His father reminds him that the only reason seagulls fly is to eat. Jonathan is an obedient son and tries for a few days to do what the other seagulls are doing. He dives and screeches and fights for scraps like the rest, but he simply cannot keep doing it.Jonathan continues experimenting and learning .Later he Understanding comes to Jonathan he knows he can fly higher . He looks one last time at the place where he learned so much, and then he disappears into a “perfect dark sky”
As he enters heaven, Jonathan feels his body changing. He is the same on the inside, but he can fly far better now than he ever did on Earth. His body glows and his wings are smooth like burnished steel.

As far as characters are concerned I liked The Elder Gull,Chiang,i loved him teaching Jonathan lessons that included the mechanics of flight and went beyond them to encompass the philosophical applications of the knowledge to serve his own purposes and to allow him to help others.
The trick, according to Chiang, was for Jonathan to stop seeing himself trapped inside a limited body...The trick was to know that his true nature lived, as perfect as an unwritten number, everywhere at once across space and time.

I even liked Jonathan, the title character in the story, represents the individualistic human desiring to fulfill his personal search for perfection in the area that is important to him. For Jonathan, that field of endeavor was learning how to fly, in the ultimate sense of the act.
For most gulls, it is not flying that matters, but eating. For this gull, though, it was not eating that mattered, but flight. More than anything else, Jonathan Livingston Seagull loved to fly.

Most simply stated, the moral of the story is "that if one does what he likes and ignores everything else, he will be fulfilled and transcend even death with few problems."
Jonathan starts the story appearing to be self-centered and stubborn, focused upon learning how to fly to meet his personal dreams regardless of requests from his family or condemnation from his society. Later, Jonathan comes to understand that his true desire in life is to be an instructor and give truth to other gulls according to his understanding of love.

Sakshi Taneja

Back to top Go down

Post by Megha Nagelia Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:09 pm

Richard Bach is a very popular writer.He was very fond of Flying at his childhood. He motivates and influences very much.He quotes "If you dont build your Dreams someone will hire you to help build theirs".
This book gives a intense lessons for life. Jonathan starts should see that he could push himself to fly faster, higher, Furthermore more level over whatever available seagull ever need preceding. At he accomplishes you quit offering on that one goal, he endeavors an alternate. Every last one of while, as much mothball and whatever remains of as much group need him with a chance to be just an ordinary gull. But, there will be something crashing Jonathan should a chance to be more than an ordinary gull. He knows that as much particular figure camwood would that's only the tip of the iceberg What's more he needs with knowledge those elation of flying over the clouds Similarly as quick Likewise he camwood. As much endeavors in the end prompt him being cast out by as much Flock, who esteem him an untouchable.
The Character I liked most is Jonathan as he didn't stop Also might have been continue setting off to as much focused objective.
My takeaways are:
1)You need those limit for significantly more than you think, with the goal keep testing yourself.
2) Never Give Up.
3) Explore New Things.
4) Learn from your Mistakes.

Megha Nagelia

Back to top Go down

Post by sbagla21 Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:10 pm

1) Famous American writer and a former fighter jet pilot Richard David Bach got started his writing journey in 1970 with Jonathan Livingston Seagull, By 1972 the novel had sold more than a million copies. The stories in his book are inspired from his own experiences. Most of Bach's books have been semi-autobiographical, using actual or fictionalized events from his life to illustrate his philosophy.
 2) The title of the book is “Jonathan Livingston Seagull” which is the name of the main character, Jonathan Livingston, the story of a young seagull with big ambitions. Jonathan Seagull pushes himself to fly at tremendous speeds, eventually reaching a higher plane of perfection.
I liked Jonathan itself as he was very goal oriented and was sure about what he wanted in life and worked hard day and night to achieve it. The passion to chase his dream to fly high is the best quality I liked. Sacrificing each and everything and leaving his comfort zone to achieve his goal.

3) The lines “Jonathan Seagull discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that a gull’s life is so short, and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed.” This states that life is short, as many would say so one should be happy always and we don’t need to consume ourselves in undesirable thoughts when we could live our life to the fullest. We should do what is best to make every obstacle a stepping stone in fulfillment of our dreams and to achieve our targets, so that we can find inner peace.

4) This book taught me that if a person has an inbuilt desire and passion to make his/her dream come true, then with endless efforts that person can achieve his/her ambition and make their dreams come true.
 Positive approach/attitude, determination, strong will power and an endless desire to learn can help a person to achieve what we want to.

Dream it! Believe it! Achieve it!

sbagla21

Back to top Go down

Post by Akansha Jain Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

• Richard Bach is an American writer. He has written many books which made him popular as one of the best writer.He had a passion for aviation which has also reflected in his book 'Jonathan livinstone seagull' for him flying has a different meaning which he has communicated through his book. Some of his books are based on the events of his own life. He is known for his different style of writing. Like I have watched his interview in which he said writing is not just a search among giant but it should be that it can inspires millions of life.

• “Jonathan living seagull “ is an inspiring, an influential book written by Richard Bach. It is about the journey of life of a seagull named ‘Jonathan’.
A seagull aims in life is limited to just collecting food for their survival and they believe that any other thing than collecting food is indecent. Unfortunately with Jonathan he wasn’t  agreed with the idea of their survival. He wasn’t  comprehend why they limit themselves to just one activity. For him there was more to life than just the monotony of flying to find food. He loved to fly and loved the opportunity that give him to expand his knowledge to learn further than just gathering food.
Jonathan, unlike the other seagull, he had different aims in life that was flying higher. He wanted to focus on flying and follow his dream. But being different from other seagulls he get pressure from the flock and finally they banished Jonathan and turned up their backs on him. But that doesn’t stop Jonathan follow his dream. He practiced hard and learnt new techniques and finally lived his dream of flying higher and also he wanted other seagull to learnt it.

• My favourite character from the book ‘Jonathan livingstone seagull ‘ is seagull Chiang who taught Jonathan the reality of life and the secret he told Jonathan was to “begin by knowing that you already arrived” and helped him to accomplished his aim.

• My learnings from the book is  basically that you don’t have to mold yourself in order to fit within the rules of the society; be yourself, follow your passion, open your mind to new experiences & possibilities. And Conformity is not the way to live life. One must follow his or her passion and make their own rules, looking beyond the idea of just surviving. I would like end up by saying “keep working on love”.

Akansha Jain

Back to top Go down

Analysis of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach - Page 5 Empty "Analysis of Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach"

Post by abhay.jain.18j Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:38 pm

1. Richard David Bach was born June 23, 1936 is an American writer. Bach is widely known as the author of some hugely popular 1970s best-sellers, include Jonathan Livingston Seagull which was first published in 1970 and Illusions The Adventures Of Reluctant Messiah in 1977. Bach has authored numerous works of fiction and non-fiction, including One in 1989 and Out of my mind in 1999. Jonathan Livingston Seagull, is a fable in novella form about a seagull learning about life and flight, and a homily about self-perfection. This is a story for people who follow their hearts and make their own rules...people who get special pleasure out of doing something well, even if only for themselves people who know there's more to this living than meets the eye: they’ll be right there with Jonathan, flying higher and faster than ever they dreamed.
2. The story starts with a seagull named Jonathan who is quite different from the other birds because a seagull point in life is to collect food and seagull believes that any other pursuit is incorrect, Jonathan crawled step by step to reach his destination of perfection by crossing all the hurdles. When he reached his destination, he thought of depriving other seagulls from the limitations of living just for food and to make them learn to live freely like other birds. He got success in doing so and made the life of other seagulls interesting and free from limitations. In his new home, he finds like-minded seagulls who experience the freedom of flight and after he started teaching to the flock all that what he has learned.
3. I liked Jonathan Seagull the most. He was really an inspiring character. He had a vision to be different from everyone and live like a free bird. He always learned from his failure and worh hard to achieve his target and the best thing about him he never limits himself for any work because we have to push our limits to do an extraordinary thing that can stunned the whole world.

4. The learnings from the book are:
• The most important learning which I have seen is all about “being yourself” means to be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishments.
• You are perfect, unlimited and always learn from your failures.
• Never stop learning, practicing and striving to work hard.
• Love the life you live and live the life you love because it is all about your passion.

abhay.jain.18j

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohish Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:50 pm

1 Few lines about the author and also explain the title
Jonathan Livingstone Seagull book author Richard David Bach is one of the most famous and widely popular author worldwide. Before starting writing books he served United States Navy Reserve and even he served for New Jersey Air National Guard and because of this he has a positive attitude which we can find easily in his books. Mr. Bach had wrote numerous books which consist of fiction and non-fiction. Title Jonathan Livingstone Seagull  
is a perfect title because whole story tells about the labor done by jonathan and never to lose hope spirit which is shown correctly matches with title even the positive behaviour and giving ones full power is what jonathan did in his life.

2 A paragraph on the story/plot
Jonathan Livingstone Seagull story revolves around the life of Jonathan who is a seagull and inspite of seagull he want to fly high. He does't want to be like other seagulls who just look for food and don't want to fly. When "jonathan" was trying to get succeed his friend "Sullivan" came and motivated him alot and twist in the story comes when "jonathan" met "Chiang" who changed the life of "jonathan" and taught him how to fly high."Jonathan" gave each and every seagull who once thinking that "jonathan" is not worthy of anything and gave other seagulls a slam that "when there is a will there is a way".

3 The character you liked the most and why?
I liked "Sullivan" the most because he was the one who came and helped jonathan in his bad time and when he need someone to help him and motivate him. Sullivan supported jonathan at every stage and gave him a correct direction even he told "jonathan" about "chiang" so that "jonathan" can become perfectionist in flying.
4 Your takeaways/learnings (elaborate)

My takeaways are firstly
* Their should be some motive in life, without any aim/motive a person is useless.
* Never give upon on ones dreams.
* Do not listen to anyone who is deviating one from his/her correct path.
* Desire of one should not be limited.
I want to add that if person is fully dedicated towards his/her work no one can change the mind of that person.

Mohish

Back to top Go down

Post by SONU KUMAR Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:29 am

In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom. But It is not always an “easy sacrifice”.
Richard bach is an american writer and a former US airforce pilot, he is now seldom without an aeroplane. This book “jonathan livingstone seagull” is the result of his love towards aviation. Bach is widely known as the author of some hugely popular 1970s best-sellers books. In this book a large number of photos of seagull are included, this unique photos are clicked by a photographer Russell Munson while traveling in a flight.

By taking an example of story of a seagull, the author want to give an inspiration for those people who make their own rules, own dreams and follow them; a story that has inspired people for decades. For every bird including seagulls, life consists simply of eating and surviving. Flying is just a means of finding food and shelter. However, according to the author, Jonathan Livingston Seagull is not an ordinary bird. For him, flying is life itself. Against the conventions of seagull society, he seeks to find a higher purpose and become the best at doing what he loves.

Almost, all bird’s life is confined to food to survive and not more than this. This is the real truth. But ofcourse this is a book having story and in story author can manipulate the universal facts. Anyway, this story is about a seagull named Jonathan who has a different mindset from the others. His thinking was that the life is not only meant for eating… eating and eating.
He wanted to do some different. He wanted to fly more than the capability of seagull. So he always do practice rather than finding foods. Due to his negligence the community boycotted him. But he was not weak, he didn’t broken and he continued practicing to fly high, to fly in dark and whatever he wanted to do. Only  practice is not quite enough to achieve a goal, a teacher is must. So Jonathan also got a teacher Chiang. And Chiang taught and make him perfect. He taught him the difference between having faith and understanding. After the death of Chiang, Jonathan moved from that place and returned back to his community and became a teacher and start teaching the other seagulls.

Ofcourse Jonthan is in the main stream in this story. And he is doing good. Sullivan was also good in nature despite considered doubtful in nature at first. But I like Chiang most, because he was an elder one and most experienced. He taught Jonathan not only about flying tricks but also about the life. What life is all about.

Gold itself has to heated in the fire to get the shine. So to get that thing you wanting extremely, you have to be persevere, enough strong, firm and understanding definitely.

SONU KUMAR

Back to top Go down

Post by ajmera911 Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:01 am

Richard Bach was big-time into this whole "enlightenment" phase. Only the phase wasn’t in his favour. It was a way of life and even to this day he is heavily involved. He tells us that one day, when he was walking along the beach, he heard an actual voice telling him to write Johnathan Livingston Seagull and the voice also told him the summary of the book which is pretty weird. Especially when Richard Bach is an admitted atheist. So he wasn't having an auditory vision. I have a hard time believing that he suffers from any type of mental disorder.
Most gulls don't bother to learn more than the simplest facts of flight - how to get from shore to food and back again,’ writes author Richard Bach in this allegory about a unique bird named Jonathan Livingston Seagull. ‘For most gulls it is not flying that matters, but eating. For this gull, it was not eating that mattered, but flight did.’ Through the metaphor of Flight the story speaks about the importance of seeking a higher purpose in life.
Jonathan Livingston Seagull tells the story of a young seagull with big ambitions. Jonathan Seagull pushes himself to fly at tremendous speeds, eventually reaching a higher plane of perfection. Later, he returns to his flock to teach the ambitious among them what he knows.
• In Part I, Jonathan defies his parents and spends all his time practicing flying. He repudiates their belief that a seagull's sole purpose is to eat and instead studies the mechanics of flight. He's banished because of this.
• In Part II, Jonathan reaches a higher plane of existence, where he studies with the elder gull Chiang, who teaches him the secrets to "perfect speed."
• In Part III, Jonathan returns to his flock to teach them what he has learned.
Sometimes sticking to your beliefs comes with a great price. Resisting the current of ideas held to be true or acceptable can make you very unpopular or even bring ridicule and alienation. Going against the crowd can be a lonely road, but if you believe in yourself and your convictions, you are still a 'winner' at heart: Another theme is that isolation is often necessary for the transmission of knowledge. A leader must often distinguish himself from the crowd before he has any followers or before he can offer a different path from that which is already known.
Being rejected as Outcast from the Flock was not a concern; the important thing was continuing the search for knowledge about the science and application of advanced flight.
My favourite character in the story is Jonathan himself represents the individualistic human desiring to fulfil his personal search for perfection in the area that is important to him and just never gives up and keeps on trying all the scientific methods to fly high. For Jonathan, that field of endeavour was learning how to fly.The thing which I liked the most about Jonathan is for most gulls, it is not flying that matters, but eating. For this gull, it was not eating that mattered, but flight. More than anything else, Jonathan Livingston Seagull loved to fly.
My learning/ takeaways are as follows:
First of all, we see the seagull obsessed with pushing the limits of everything he knows about flying. Every day he learns more and more. We, as human beings, would be well-served if we were willing to push against our own personal boundaries and discover what lies beyond. It is refreshing and insightful to learn more, grow more, open ourselves to truths we have not yet learned.
Having discovered new and greater truths Jonathan desires to share these truths with the seagulls still back on earth. He has no intention of becoming a master to someone else
The importance of forgiveness, and a refusal to hold grudges, resentment, and other negative emotions is also a fundamental lesson that weaves it's way throughout most of the book, hinting that greater truths are unobtainable until we are willing to forgive the wrongs that are done to us.

ajmera911

Back to top Go down

Post by himanshu goyal Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:15 pm

1) Richard Bach is one of the famous American Author.He is a kind of person who is very passionate about his writing stream. The title of this book is very much suitable as it suggests a bird lives near the sea who has dream of flying not for the food but for the happiness. Similarly we can connect this with our life that we should have to fly for long and too high to break all the records and get the success....
2) The story was divided in three parts. The first part describes the will power of Jonathan to climb to 1000 feet to begin a full power drive. He starts to learn how to fly with high speed and to break all the records. In part two, it was shown that how Jonathan met with other gulls and also his learning from his teacher. This part describes his journey to reach to the heaven and build skills to get it. Last part was about his teaching to other gulls and help them in succeed....
3) The character I like the most is Chiang, because he teaches him to be patient and he taught him to fly high. Always motivated him and encouraged him. The secret, Chiang says, is to "begin by knowing that you have already arrived.", this means that you must first know about where you are and then strive to become what you want to....
4) My takeaways from this book is that "Never Give up on your DREAMS".Also,if one want to shine like a sun,than one need to be heated like a sun first.
Hard word can lead to anything.So,make our own path and put efforts and nobody can not stop you to achieve whatever you want in your life.....

himanshu goyal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5